- Hailing from a family deeply involved in Indian classical music and dance.
- Bombay C N Balaji, began his lessons in the art of Mridangam playing from the legendary Palghat Mani Iyer. Thereafter he continued his learning with Sri Trichy Raghava Iyer and Vidwaan Palghat Raghu.
- Had the honour of learning some finer nuances from stalwart percussionist like Dr T K Murthy and Vidwaan Umayalpuram Sivaraman
- His first concert with a top-ranking artist was at the age of 11, accompanying the Violin Maestro Prof. T N Krishnan.
- Thereafter, he has accompanied stalwarts and promising youngsters in the music field, which continues to date.
- He has had the honour of providing mridangam accompaniment to Vidwaan Dr. Semmangudi Srinivaasa Iyer, Vidushi D K Pattammal, Dr S Ramanathan, Sri K V Narayanaswamy, Veena Vidwan K S Narayanaswamy, Vechoor Hariharasubramania Iyer, Neyyathinkara Vasudevan, Flute K S Gopalakrishnan, Sri T V G, Sri D K Jayaraaman, Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy, Dr Balamuralikrishna, Mandolin Srinivas, Sri S Kalyanaraaman, Smt Mani Krishnaswamy, Smt R Vedavalli, Dr N Rajam, Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, Ustad Shahid Parvez, Chitravina Ravikiran, Ganesh-Kumaresh, Flute Shashank and many other stalwarts and youngsters.
- He had training in vocal music from Vidwaan Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan for a short duration.
- He was part of the celebrations in memory of Ustad Ahmedjaan Thirakwa the legendary Tabla player, where he performed a solo recital in a 10 beats cycle rhythm.
- He has also had the honour of performing at Pandit Bhimsen Joshi’s Sawai Gandharva festival in Pune.
- He has toured widely in the USA, Far East, Middle East and Sri Lanka for concert engagements.
- He has done various lecture demonstrations explaining the intricacies of rhythm and also highlighted the greatness of some of our legendary percussion artists in the music field.
- His various concerts in Muscat, Oman since the year 2007 till date are still being talked about in the music fraternity. Some of them are
- Dr. N. Ramani and Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia – flute jugalbandi with Subhankar Banerjee on the Tabla.
- Ustad Shahid Parvez and Shashank – Sitar and Flute jugalbandi with Akram Khan on the Tabla
- Concerts with Sri O S Thyagarajan, Sri V V Subrahmanyam, Dr Jayanthi Kumaresh , Sri Vijay Siva and many more.
- Percussion ensemble featuring Mridangam, Tabla, Ghatam and Violin for the melodic support.
Henry Cowell AwardReceived prestigious Henry Cowell Award for the best junior Mridangist....
Diploma In Carnatic MusicMaster Balaji has awarded the certificate of Diploma in Carnatic Music from The BHARATIYA MUSIC &...
Gokulashtami Sangeetha UtsavamBalaji was awarded first prize for talent promotion concerts in Gokulashtami Sangeetha Utsavam-1985 conducted by Sree Krishna Gana Sabha at Madras.
All India Radio-1989Received notice from All India Radio with reference to the audition in Mridangam by the Music Auditi...
All India Radio-1992Received notice from All India Radio with reference to the audition for upgradation in Mridangam by ...
Sruthi Laya Seva TrustReceived first prize of Rs 10,000 for Mridagam competition conducted by Sruthi Laya Seva Trust to ho...
Certificate Of MeritAwarded the certificate of Merit to master Iyer Balaji in the fifth standard for being adjudged the...